Sunday, August 19, 2012

Pushing beyond my limits.

Yesterday I agreed to do a ride-along with my friend Amy as she did service calls for her company which provides the on the pump additives of many grocery store gas stations. Her first assignment was a store up in Trion GA. A pretty little town nestled in the foothills of the Tennessee Plateau. However, it seems like one of t
he towns time forgot. Lots of four wheel drives , rebel flags, and UGA license plates. In short, one of those less liberal settings found throughout the rural south.

Part of what Amy was there for was a customer appreciation day. There were Free hot dogs, pizza, snow cones, and cotton candy. Apparently free gasoline additive was part of the equation as well. Amy was supposed to ‘market’ her company’s product while she was there, which included walking up to complete strangers and extolling the virtues of this additive to the skeptical public. We weren’t giving out something the average consumer has any knowledge about.

I watched as Amy approached the first few customers and did her spiel. Just watching made me nervous as many of the first customers were older males, the audience least likely to ‘accept’ folks like she and I. Lightning did not smite her, nor did angry retorts rise from aged throats. I heard…respect…and curiosity…but only about the product. Watching her made me realize that my trepidation about ‘meeting the public’ and actually selling something to them was unfounded.

As my good friends know, I have this equality/superiority complex where I think, ‘well if she can do it then I can do it.’ So I decided I would help. I was still very nervous when I started and I secretly doubted I could sell icewater to the average person in hell. Once again I had sold myself short. People did not run away screaming in horror when I approached them and spoke to them unsolicited. They didn’t even flinch. In fact many of them asked questions and wished me a good day. I gave each person I spoke with a coupon for their next purchase.

Three hours later I had given away more coupons than Amy. Nobody was cross with me, nobody treated me with anything less than respect. Even in rural GA, people are generally genial and even friendly… at least to Amy and I. Does it mean that I pass? When I look in the mirror, I have my doubts. Amy says I am ‘approachable.’ But why? What about me makes me approachable? Can others use the same tools? It seems that a friendly smile and a good attitude make up for being a Sasquatch. Upon reflection, shouldn’t this apply to everyone? If people don’t like you or respect you, might you be doing something the wrong way?

No comments:

Post a Comment